1 used of gloves, socks, etc. [syn: mated]
2 of leaves etc; growing in pairs on either side of a stem; "opposite leaves" [syn: opposite] [ant: alternate]
3 mated sexually
- Rhymes: -ɛə(r)d
- past of pair To group into sets of two.
- Existing in a pair, in tandem.
- The students were paired to work together, reducing the number of homeworks to be graded by half.
The word pair, derived via the French words pair/paire from the Latin par 'equal', can refer to:
- 2 (number), two of something
- Au pair, a work agreement
- Couple, various senses for two joined things
- Even number, in roulette etc.
- Ordered pair, in Mathematics and set theory
- Twisted pair, a couple of electric wires twisted together
- Pair (parliamentary convention), matching of members unable to attend, so as not to change the voting margin
- pair, the French equivalent of peer, holder of a French Pairie, French high title roughly equivalent to a member of the British peerage
- pair, a member of the Prussian House of Lords
- Pair (Cricket): "getting a pair" means being out for 0 in both innings of a match
- A handshaking process in Bluetooth communications
paired in German: Pair
paired in French: Pair
paired in Dutch: Pair
paired in Japanese: ペア
paired in Portuguese: Par
accessory, accompanying, affiliate, affiliated, allied, assembled, associate, associated, attendant, attending, banded together, biconjugate, bigeminate, bijugate, bound, bracketed, cabalistic, coincident, collateral, collected, combined, concomitant, concurrent, confederate, confederated, conjoined, conjoint, conjugate, conjugated, connected, conspiratorial, copulate, corporate, correlative, coupled, double, dual, enleagued, federate, federated, fellow, gathered, hand-in-glove, hand-in-hand, in cahoots, in league, in partnership, in with, incorporated, integrated, intimate, joined, joint, knotted, leagued, linked, married, matched, mated, merged, mutual, one, parallel, partnered, partners with, simultaneous, spliced, teamed, tied, twin, undivided, united, unseparated, wed, wedded, yoked